I don’t usually eat breakfast, but as of this week I have embarked on an eight week long dietary experiment. My nutritionist suggested that I eat breakfast to try and bring down my sky-high cortisol levels, as well as my TSH levels, which were beginning to creep up. Chronic stress is a bitch, and can wreak havoc on almost any system in the body. It was time to show my body some love.
Anyway, I decided that I’d better listen – at least for a week! I hate getting up earlier than strictly necessary to render myself presentable to my work place, so this means I don’t get out of bed early enough to make and eat breakfast. These little gems can be prepared in advance, are super simple and quick to make, and will keep for the entire working week in the fridge. Just grab, and go!
They’re high in protein and fat, and very low in carbohydrate, keeping you full for hours – there’s no good reason not to eat these for any meal of the day.
10 free-range eggs
5 strips of free-farmed streaky bacon
75g cheese of your choice
Salt & pepper to taste
Basil pesto (optional)
I used individual tin cups for these, but you could just as easily use large muffin cups. Just make sure that if you do, you grease them before adding your ingredients!
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
1. If necessary, grease your muffin cups with butter or coconut oil. Wrap one strip of bacon around the outside of each cup, so that the ends overlap slightly. This will make for a bit of a retaining wall.
2. Crack two whole eggs into the middle of each ring of bacon.
3. Sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper, and a touch of salt, before adding 15g of grated cheese to the top of each cup.
4. Place into oven, and bake for 15 minutes, or until the middle is set, and the cheese is golden brown. If using individual cups, you may want to place them on a sheet of tin foil on a tray, as there may be some over-flow.
5. Once baked, remove from the oven, and place a small blob (about 10g) of basil pesto onto the top of each cup.
Paleo-ize It!: Omit the cheese and pesto, or use home-made, dairy-free pesto. There are SO many ways you can change these little cups up. Try adding different vegetables, herbs, and spices. The combinations are endless, and you’ll never get bored of breakfast again!
Nutritional Info per Cup: